Stears is an intelligence startup using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We are a team of 25+ people providing premium data, insight and research on Africa. Currently, our customers pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform, that includes two features; daily insight and data from Stears directly into our customer’s inboxes and experts ready to answer client research questions about any sector, market or African country. As we expand, all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) will be integrated into a single searchable platform, complemented by a rich mobile experience.
We are looking for a data analyst with experience in content and engagement.
Why it’s important: Reader engagement and satisfaction is the crux of our subscription media product. It is essential that our users can easily discover and enjoy our articles and insights, so that they realize the full value of our paid subscription. Engagement is a complex and multifaceted topic - starting with the question of how to most effectively measure engagement to evaluate how we are improving and satisfying users’ needs.
What it covers: As the Data Analyst for Content & Engagement, your mission is to measure, analyze, and understand the discovery and reading experience for our subscribers and potential new customers. This includes analyzing the usage and experience on the website and mobile app, as well as steering personalization and developing a deep understanding of users' evolving topical interests and information consumption styles.
Who you will work with: You will be reporting to the Head of Product. Your closest collaborators will be the Product Manager for Content & Engagement and the Head of Subscriptions Growth. You will also work closely with the Newsroom, helping inform and steer their content strategy based on users’ interests.
We are looking for someone who has:
- At least 2 years of experience as a data analyst working with tools including SQL, Python (libraries like Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib, Seaborn), Google Sheets, Metabase, and Git.
- Passion for data visualization and making data insights easy to understand
- Knowledge in statistics and mathematics
- Strong interest in Google Analytics, Mailchimp, social media, and other user/subscriber engagement tracking tools
- Willingness to dig into API documentation to identify new ways to get access to valuable data from 3rd party services
- Experience with personalization and data-driven experimentation
- The ability to communicate effectively with all teams - technical and non-technical. Someone who can simplify and communicate technical issues in an understandable manner
- (Preferred) Experience on a media publication product before or similar products that require sustained engagement to be successful (e-learning, social media, entertainment, gaming, etc)
- Conduct research projects to investigate trends around content engagement, subscriber acquisition, retention, and optimizing the users’ experience
- Perform analyses and complex data aggregations to evaluate the outcomes from product changes and experiments
- Create presentations, visualizations, and reports that guide other teams’ workflows, outreach to users, and prioritization of features
- Give presentations and status updates, communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Calculate engagement key metrics on an recurring basis to evaluate content and product performance
- Streamline the process of providing information to internal stakeholders (eg. creating Metabase dashboards)
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Stears branded merchandise and swag
- Onboarding allowance to facilitate workstation setup
- Access to Stears Employee Hardship Fund
- Annual off-site team bonding
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons our team members highlight as contributing to having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.